So, what is the best puppy food for large breeds? It should be clear that every dog needs a different nutrition concept. This differs according to age, breed, daily activity and weight.
Best Puppy Food For Large Breeds: Large breed puppies need special food
Large breed puppies take longer to develop fully than smaller breed puppies. Large dogs are not fully grown until they are two years old. If this growth is accelerated by a high energy intake, as may be the case when adult dog food is given, there will be excessive bone length growth.
Bone density suffers as a result. A puppy food for normally sized breeds does not contain enough nutrients for the large puppy. The solution here is a special puppy food for large dog breeds. This contains sufficient nutrients with adapted calorie quantity. This way you can prevent diseases at the bone structure as far as possible.
In addition, you should pay attention to a good amount of calcium, vitamins, and minerals. For the heart function, L-carnitine or taurine should be contained in the feed. These substances are perfect for supporting heart function.
Best Puppy Food For Large Breeds: What Are Large Breeds?
The term large dogs cover all dog breeds that have a minimum shoulder height of 60cm. Here are a few of the most popular large breeds:
|German Shepherd||Cane Corso||Golden Retriever|
|Bernese Mountain Dog||Labrador||Collie|
|Great Dane||Doberman||Basset Hound|
Best Puppy Food For Large Breeds: How much should I feed?
The exact amount of food for a large dog cannot be generalized. It depends not only on the breed but also on the life situation of the dog. In addition, the weight plays a decisive role and also the daily activity must be considered.
Every manufacturer equips his dog food with a feeding table. But this is only a guideline. The quantities must be put together individually for each dog. An adult dog needs about 2 to 4% of its own body weight in food.
Best Puppy Food For Large Breeds
[P_REVIEW post_id=20683 visual=’full’]
- High-quality protein, including chicken as the first ingredient
- Natural sources of glucosamine help support developing joints and cartilage
- DHA from omega-rich fish oil helps nourish brain and vision development
- Rich in antioxidants to help support a puppy’s developing immune system
- Calcium, phosphorus and other minerals help build strong teeth and bones
High-quality protein, including chicken as the first ingredient, provides the building blocks he needs to maintain his active lifestyle, and the specially formulated recipe is designed for puppies weighing over 50 pounds at maturity.
Every high-quality ingredient in this super premium dry puppy food is carefully chosen for a specific nutritional or functional purpose, so you can take comfort in knowing your puppy is getting purposeful nutrition.
[P_REVIEW post_id=20691 visual=’full’]
Fresh Free-Run Chicken and Turkey, Nest-Laid Eggs and Wild-Caught Fish
Rich in protein for large breed muscle mass, and calorie-limited to promote healthy weight and reduce stress on developing bones and joints.
- With 38% richly nourishing protein, and a limited 20% low-glycemic carbohydrates, ORIJEN nourishes large breed puppies according to their evolutionary and biological needs.
- Unmatched by any other puppy food, 2/3 of ORIJEN meats are FRESH (refrigerated, no preservatives) or RAW (flash-frozen, no preservatives), including the top 10 ingredients.
- 1/3 of meats are air dried at 90°C from fresh chicken, turkey and fish to create a concentrated source of richly nourishing protein to support your growing puppy.
- Nutrient-dense WholePrey ratios of fresh meat, organs, cartilage, and bones plus fresh whole fish and fresh whole eggs provide a natural source of virtually every nutrient your big puppy needs.
- Infusions of freeze-dried chicken and turkey liver enhance flavor naturally, making ORIJEN deliciously tasty for the fussiest of puppies.
In nature there are no synthetic supplements, so dogs and wolves derive their complete nutritional needs naturally by consuming whole animals which contain all of the nutrients they need to thrive.
That’s why you won’t find long lists of synthetics in ORIJEN dog foods. Loaded with nourishing ratios of fresh meat, organs, cartilage, and bones plus fresh whole fish and whole eggs, ORIJEN provides a natural source of virtually every nutrient your puppy needs to thrive.
[P_REVIEW post_id=20694 visual=’full’]
- Boosted Nutrition for Large Breed Puppies – Grain-Free, High Protein Kibble + Freeze-Dried Raw
- Cage-free chicken is the first ingredient – packed with animal protein to support the energy needed for growth and play
- Freeze-Dried Raw – All natural, protein-packed, minimally processed bites of real chicken
- A balanced mix of poultry, fish & meat for healthy exposure to proteins + natural DHA from chicken eggs for brain & eye development
- Made without – grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meal, artificial colors or preservatives
High animal-protein, grain-free, boosted nutrition with bites of freeze-dried raw meat, made especially for your large breed puppy. Unlock your puppy’s potential to thrive and put more of the pure, real nutrition of raw into every bowl.
[P_REVIEW post_id=20688 visual=’full’]
Features and Benefits:
- QUALITY CHICKEN PROTEIN. The USA-grown, antibiotic free, cage free chicken is raised without the use of added hormones or growth efficiency drugs for a clean healthy source of protein.
- Chicken cartilage, a natural source of Chondroitin, and Glucosamine Hydrochloride are added to support joint health. Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones in chicken raised in the USA.
- COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES. Chickpeas, Lentils, and Green Peas and healthy rice are sources of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Great tasting and high in dietary fiber that satiates the appetite of the most discriminating dogs.
- Innovative Freeze Dried Live PROBIOTICS for enhanced digestion and immune support; retaining over 90% of its value through the shelf life of the food. Typical pet foods use dead strains and list their addition rate rather than their available rate to your pet.
- Chicory Extract as a source of PREBIOTICS
- Chicken Cartilage for natural chondroitin
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids as an immunity booster
- L- Carnitine for maximum performance
- Chelated Minerals to assist with absorption of nutrients
- Preserved with mixed tocopherols (antioxidants)
- No Meat by-products, No Artificial Flavors or Colors, No Fillers, No Corn, No Wheat, No Soybean, No Sugars, and No Window Dressing!
- For all Large Breed puppies 60 lbs or more at adult weight.
The nutrition from Verus products is supplied through whole foods. Their take on holistic is the use of whole meats, whole grains, vitamin antioxidant preservation, incorporation of organic nutrient sources, and chelated minerals. Their foods are carefully crafted to yield the ideal levels of protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and micronutrients for your pet.
So make sure that very large dogs receive an easily digestible food that contains additives that strengthen muscles, bones, and joints. Large pieces of food provide saturation, while fiber helps digestion and protein strengthens muscles. Large breed puppies are fed with a special puppy food for large breeds, rich in minerals at reduced energy levels.
Leave me a comment below if you enjoyed this article about best puppy food for large breeds or have any questions!